The secret to getting projects done
Well hi there! How great that you’ve clicked to learn about the secret to getting projects done! Before I’ll get into it, be honest. Were you truly interested in knowing how to get more work done for your (personal) project? Or did finding out more about getting projects done serve as a form of procrastination here? Either way, since you’re here, I’ll share the secret. It’s quite simple actually.
Do The Work
It’s not my secret, it’s Steven Pressfield’s! Pressfield – the author of The War of Art and Turning Pro – has come with yet another book about dealing with procrastination. The title of this one though has made the concept of getting things done very clear in only one phrase: Do The Work.
In continuation of his previous books, Pressfield elaborates on what it is that keeps us from starting/continuing/completing our projects. Resistance. Resistance Points in this book are “those junctures where fear, self-sabotage, procrastination, self-doubt and all those other demons we’re all so familiar with can be counted upon to strike”.
Principles of dealing with Resistance
- There is an enemy: It’s called Resistance. At some point or another during our project, it will make an appearance. Accept that fact and deal with it.
- This enemy is implacable: The hostile force that we’re experiencing is not a joke, don’t treat it like one.
- This enemy is inside you: Running away from it physically won’t do a thing, you’ll still be carrying it with you.
- The enemy is inside you, but it’s not you: Don’t blame yourself for feeling this Resistance, but take responsibility to act upon it.
- The “Real You” must dual the “Resistance You”.
- Resistance arises second: Before Resistance occurs, there is love. Love for the idea and the decision to start your (personal) project. Love arises first, Resistance second.
- The opposite of Resistance is assistance: Keep those around you who can give you a kick under the butt every now and then.
I already said it was simple, that doesn’t mean it is easy though. Now I have my personal reminder out in the universe, I am getting back to working on my project (see how my Resistance was acting up, resulting into this blogpost?), what about you?