How to Induce Creativity For #Careerlions
Creativity is actually something that comes natural to us all when we are faced with new challenges. However, when you have been in your position for a longer time, you get bored, or you are discouraged, this urge for creativity will fade. To thrive as a #careerlion, you will need to maintain creative. That is why this blog intends to provide you with the knowledge to increase your creativity. Read on if you want to understand how creativity happens and how you can induce it.
How Does Creativity Work?
Creativity is something that happens when all the conditions are right. You need to be in the right emotional state of mind for creativity to kick in, as your emotions affects your brain functioning which in turn affects your creativity. The part of your brain responsible for rational thought and emotions impacts your ability to be creativity spontaneously and deliberately. Ever been preoccupied by personal issues and noticed how you have no creative spark left?
Tips and Tricks to Induce Your Creativity
Given that you need your brain to function well you will need to take care of yourself. The basics being sleep, food and exercise of course. Other than that, there are a few other attention points if you want induce your creativity:
- Eliminate focus interruption, activities such as social media and emailing. Your Instagram feed will still be there tonight! Talking to myself here and for those of you who have become somewhat addicted as well. I mean the amount of videos of Frenchies, cakes, and dancing endless, what’s not to love?
- Reduce stress as it is one of the creativity killers out there, as our brains filter all information that is redundant in order to survive. By blurring our vision of reality, stress is thus impacting our level of resilience.
- Practice mindfulness, taking time to think and reflect.
- Create a happy place of work as positive emotions connecting you on a personal and organizational level are essential.
- Look for intersections, as most creative ideas are founded combining ideas between different people, departments and disciplines. Think of for instance Lean in the automotive industry that is now used in completely different industries.
- Procrastinate! Adam Grant in his TED talk “The Surprising Habits of Original Thinkers” addresses the positive effect of procrastination on creativity. By procrastinating, you are basically giving yourself “thinking time”. While it is a virtue for your creativity, it may not be the best for your productivity though.
- Accept failing is part of creativity and innovation. Grant states that the exceptional creatives of the world fail the most. Why? Because they are the ones who try the most. Do you want to fail at something trying? Or fail by not even trying to begin with?
- Doubt can be a good or a bad thing. Grant identifies self- and idea-doubt. While self-doubt is completely depriving, idea-doubt will be energizing and boosts your creativity.
Interested in the full TED talk of Grant, then watch it here.
Other tips and tricks to induce creativity previously covered on #careerlions include:
- The use of brain mushrooms, making nootropics coffee.
- Mind wandering hijacking your conscious and making connections that you weren’t seeing before.
- Practicing stoicism, as being in the present is an asset to your creativity.
I for one have many creative moments, but from time to time I have these intense moments of idea-deprivation. A good example are the blogs that we are writing for you. When we just started out with #careerlions, we had idea-vomit. We constantly thought of new articles and new ways of reaching other #careerlions. Then at the beginning of this year, after writing weekly blogs each over a course of several months, ideas started becoming less creative. The writing part wasn’t even the biggest challenge anymore, coming up with the topic itself was probably the most time consuming. Let alone the next steps to take for the blog. These creativity tips and tricks have really helped me over the course of the last few weeks. We are fully inspired again and new stuff is coming soon. Also, we are now an official company 1which is thrilling of course.
Have you been in somewhat of a creative rut? Are you ready to up your creativity game with these tips and tricks? We are curious to know! Also, if you have any ideas for blogs, inspire us! Share your thoughts in the comment section below.